Monday, May 17, 2010

My Story

T.V. has always been an integral part of my life. I can remember being very young when we got "cable." Cable, in the 70's, was a rectangular pad, attached to the television with a wire, where you punched in channel numbers. I can't recall how many channels we had, but it wasn't a ton. I remember being the only house in the neighborhood that had it, that I knew of.

Technology soon moved to the set-top box, that had loud push buttons and a switch to the left, to control which line of channels you were choosing from. My life after school was filled with re-runs: Three's Company, What's Happenin', Mork & Mindy, Happy Days- all the 70's greats.

Not to say that I was a couch potato, because I actually spent a lot of time socializing with friends, even *gasp* outside. I tell you what, though - when we got an Atari, my house was the place to be. Space Invaders, Missile Command, Asteroids, you get the point.

I have fond memories of watching shows like St. Elsewhere and Family Ties with my parents. All those infamous After School Specials were sucked in with reckless abandon. Let's not forget School House Rock, either. Classic.

I am, for lack of a better definition, obsessed with television shows. DVR is the most wonderful invention on the planet and has helped to feed this wonderful addiction that I have.

I am lucky to have married a man with a similar addiction for television and movies. Thank goodness, but if I hadn't, I'd probably be divorced. My DVR list is stunning. I record all types of shows. I believe I've turned my youngest into just as much of an addict as I am. We watch a lot of shows together.

In fact, today was a special day for Z. He got to stay home from school because of his mother's T.V. addiction. Last night was the finale of the current season of Survivor and since I had to work, I DVR'd it. Well, there was no way possible that I could wait until he got home from school today to watch it, I made him a deal last week that he could stay home from school today and we'd have a T.V. Day.

And a glorious day it was. Survivor Finale, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, Desperate Housewives, Degrassi: The Next Generation. Yes, I'm a dork.

However, I refuse to apologize. T.V. makes me happy. Join me in my addiction, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment